You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1 Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates. It contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2 Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3 Check the IELTS test dates
Use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register before the registration deadline for your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
You can also register in person at our Customer Services Centre Monday to Friday from 09.00 to 18.00 hours.
5. Prepare and send your documents
Please make sure you send us ALL of the following documents when you register for your test:
- A photocopy of your identification document (your passport or ID card)
- Proof of payment of the test fee
6. Choose your payment options
The cost of sitting a test is 365 BGN. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
i) Online through the online application form
ii) In person at the British Council Customer Services Centre. If you want to pay in person, we accept:
- Debit and credit card
Opening hours: 09.00-18.00 hours
iii) Via a bank transfer
Citibank, IBAN Leva – BG77 CITI 9250 1051 0015 01
- In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write your name and the test date you wish to register for.
- Once you have made the payment, please send us the bank transfer receipt with the rest of your registration documents.
7. Complete your registration
Print the Application Summary at the end of the registration process (or the email you receive after registration).
British Council Bulgaria
7 Krakra Str., Sofia 1504
We need to receive all documents before the registration deadline for the test date.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
8. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS
- We will send you a confirmation email at least one week before your first the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address.
For more information please contact our Examinations Services at email@example.com.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration before the registration deadline for the test date. You will receive a full refund, no administration fee will be charged.
- If you cancel your registration after the registration deadline but before the test date. You will receive a refund of the test fee minus a cancellation fee of 90 BGN.
- If you are taken ill on the fixed test date you should submit an original medical certificate confirming illness on the test date within 5 working days after the fixed test date.The certificate must be bolnichen list for candidates who are employed, or medicinska belezhka accompanied by ambulatoren list for candidates who are not employed. If you are over 18 years old, but not employed, you have to submit a proof - a copy of a university or school student card, registration as unemployed, etc. You will receive a refund of the test fee minus an administration fee of 90 BGN.
- If you are taken ill on your Speaking date, please contact us immediately to check if a new arrangement is possible.
Please complete and submit a Request for Refund or Test Date Transfer Form with the supporting evidence.
Test day transfers
You can apply for a test day transfer:
- Before the registration deadline for the test date. No administration fee will be charged.
- After the registration deadline but before the test date. You will be charged a transfer fee of 90 BGN.
- If a request for test day transfer is submitted within 5 working days after the test date you have been registered for, you will be charged а transfer fee of 160 BGN.
Please note that the requested transfer day should be no more than 3 months away. If you wish to transfer to a test date more than 3 months away you should apply for a refund and then register again.
To request a test day transfer, please complete and submit a Request for Refund or a Test Date Transfer Form.