The publication aims to:
- enhance the role of the media in driving forward the process of making communities inclusive, successful and tolerant
- elaborate and communicate the message about the role of journalists: the ethical and the business argument
- help journalists avoid falling into traps re language, emphasis and ignorance as they report on the integration of new people, new ideas, new cultures and new faiths into cohesive communities, accepting that inaccuracy or insensitivity may damage progress being made in representing communities fairly and faithfully
- give constructive advice and offer editorial standards
- showcase positive and negative practices.