Registering for a course at the British Council is easy
- If you or your child are a continuing student, please contact us to register for the next course.
- If you are registering for the first time or finished your last course with us more than six months ago, please follow the three steps below.
Step 1: Book a free level test on a date and time of your choice
Tests for Early Years students (4-6 years)
If your child is between 4 and 6 years old, there is no need for a level test. You can book their place on one of our Early Years courses by filling in a registration form at our Customer Service Centre during registrion periods.
Tests for Primary students (6-12 years)
Primary aged students (between 6 and 12 years old) will need to take both the level test and the speaking part at our office.
Tests for Secondary students (13-17 years) and adults (18+ years)
If you are registering for an adult course, or for one of our courses for Secondary students, you will need to do an Online Placement Test before attending a speaking interview in person. In the booking confirmation email, you will find a link to your Online Placement Test.
Tests for IELTS preparation courses
The level test for IELTS preparation courses is entirely online to make it more convenient for you.
Step 2: Visit us on the date that you have booked
- You will need to have completed the Online placement test at least 24 hours before the time that you have reserved for your speaking interview.
- All students will speak to a teacher who can advise on an appropriate level of study.
Step 3: Choose the best course for you
- At the end of the level test you will find out your or your child's English language level.
- We will then help you choose the most suitable course so you can register and discuss payment options (cash, credit card or bank transfer).
- If the course is fully booked, your name will be put on a waiting list. Should a place become available you will be contacted by us.
- Please note that we need a parent's mobile number and e-mail address before young people under the age of 18 can be registered on our courses.