The competition is open to anyone over 21 years old and working in or studying maths, technology, engineering or natural sciences (medicine, biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, Earth sciences). This includes private and public sector employees.
- Lecturers and researchers in science, engineering or mathematics subjects, including specialist science teachers with a science degree
- People who work on applying science, engineering technology or mathematics (e.g. patent clerks, statisticians, consultants to industry)
- University students of science, mathematics or engineering
- People who apply science, mathematics or engineering in the armed forces or government bodies
- People who apply science, engineering or mathematics in industry or business.
We cannot accept:
People who are already working professionally in public engagement with science, including:
- Press or PR officers, even for science-related organisations
- Artists who work on science-related themes
- Performers whose shows are about science or engineering
- Science centre staff who work exclusively or mainly with the public
- Journalists and broadcasters (as their main or only job)
- Non-specialist teachers
- Audience or jury vote winners or runner-ups in past competitions.
If you are unsure about your eligibility please contact us.